Friday, April 16, 2010

Level uP in ES2007S!

ES2007S-Professional Communication
Creator: Brad Blackstone
Total number of players: 14
Price: 700 (in NUS CORS dollars)
*Note: This game may be addictive, only for those above 19 years old.


Wrapping up ES2007S definitely touched my heart in some inexplicable way yesterday. Now, it is the time to sit and reflect on how far I have progressed ever since I first walked into the classroom three months ago.

I felt that my oral communication skills had improved through this module. A good head start was that I have no qualms about speaking in public. This was because I had been doing so ever since young; if you do consider my earliest “stint” of representing my school for a story-telling competition in Primary 3 as one. To me, the challenge lies in being a great speaker who has the power to influence and engage the audience. Hence, the final oral presentation project was a challenge but also an avenue for practice. Definitely, there is still room for improvement.

Fortunately, I have ES2007S to guide me on writing application letters and resumes because I am one of those who never signed up for any of the workshops organised by the NUS Career Centre (oops!). The peer teaching sessions and assignment were great approaches which helped me improve on persuasive writing skills! I even shared some tips and guidelines learnt with my interested friends! =D

Interaction among peers and active participation in class were emphasised throughout the module. These were not common sights in many of the modules in NUS. Personally, I think that the interactions conducted were very comprehensive. This was because we were assigned groups for our final project. Group discussions and critical comments among group members were inevitable. I learnt a lot about constructive peer review-oriented interactions. It was a good platform to analyse other’s work critically and later convey the comments to the writer, be it personally or in the written form through blog post comments.

As a whole, I never regretted taking up this module because it had been something I wanted ever since the start of semester. It was a wonderful experience because this module had not only guided me in the different communication aspects, but is enriching as a whole. We had a dedicated tutor, credits to Brad. I left, making many good friends who had together contributed to a much more interesting and unique module. Although there were definitely “tough” times where project deadlines clashed with other CAs at hand, I agree that going through and surviving these will leave an indelible mark in my memory. After all, this is part and parcel of life.

ES2007S had definitely brought me one level up in my knowledge and practice of good communication skills which are transferable. :)

15 comments:

  1. Thanks, Stephanie, for this detailed reflection and for your fine effort throughout the module. I'm happy that you can find quite a few take away points from ES2007S.

    All the best in your future! Let's stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Mafer: Yeap, you can try taking this module if you're interested! :)

    @Brad: Yes, it was such an enjoyable module! Moreover, there's no final exam and with this final blog post, I'm one module down! Haha =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steph,

    I really loved your post. It was very heart warming. I love the way you ended the post with “ES2007S had definitely brought me one level up in my knowledge”. It was an interesting way of looking at this module.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Geraldine!

    Thanks for the comment! Haha, I wrote that because it literally meant that. Besides, it complemented the gaming theme of my intro.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Steph! Yep! It was indeed a wonderful coincidence that we took this module together. ((: I had fun taking this module with you as well. I believe that ES2007S had brought many of us to a new level as well. Let's study hard and bring ourselves to another level in our core modules as well. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph I agree with you. It is one of the few projects that I truly enjoyed doing regardless of all the other deadlines and submissions. I did not mind putting in extra effort for this project. This was not the case for my other assignments where I just want to get them over and done with. So thumbs up for ES2007S and the 'project'. I hope NUS takes our suggestions ahha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph!
    I like the way you wrote this post! It is a very creative way of writing! ;)

    I felt that I have no regrets taking this module too! Though beforehand I was warned that there are going to be lots of presentations and class participation, I still went ahead and took it!I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone and I am glad I did it! I am glad that through this course you have learnt valuable communication skills that will carry you thtough a very very long way!And yes! I understand when you say many deadlines clashes with many of your CAs. But I guess through this we all learnt how to manage our time and to prioritise. And I think you did a very good job in doing that! ;)

    All the best for your coming exams and lets stay in touch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shih Han,

    Yes, was glad you enjoyed the module too! We've defintely learnt a lot! What's more, these are value-added skills which we will definitely get to use and put in practice. Haha, don't forget that we'll be doing presentation for our food product development module next sem! Haha. Oops, even this sem is not done yet.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear team mates - Soon Yee and Vanessa!

    I remember Geraldine mentioned something about having groupmates from hell in one of her posts about interpersonal conflict.

    After finishing this module, I am glad to say that I'm grateful to have all good groupmates thus far. Moreover for this final project and presentation, I could not thank you both enough for being supportive and also critical. Indeed, there were times where your comments had actually helped me improve.

    To Soon Yee, I enjoyed working with you and could really see that you put in a lot of effort in this project although on the outside you may seem very relaxed and nonchalent. (This is good! =D) Appreciate it very much.

    Vanessa, thanks for the comment! Yes, indeed time management is one of the most important skills I learnt not only in this module but in NUS. Haha, it was glad to have all your support especially with the slides etc when Soon Yee and I were busy with certain deadlines.

    =) Best of luck to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stephanie!

    I really have to thank you in persuading me to take this module. It was indeed an enjoyable experience. I feel that the relaxed atmosphere in class generally makes this module fun and enjoyable. There's so much interaction going on in class that over the last 13 weeks, I know a little bit of someone now. Now, I'd be glad to say that we can bring the skills we learnt from this module to our other modules next semester! *grins* Study hard for now first. Perhaps you can apply the 7Cs into OBL's essay questions next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! This sem is not over yet! hahaha! i have special sem too during the holidays! ): oh! and you have summer! hahaha! we should focus on them before thinking about product development next sem! (((:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Stephanie

    I had always wondered why you were so at ease with speaking in front of the class. Even during the peer teaching, you seemed to be very comfortable with being in the spotlight. I feel that you really showed your personality for every presentation and I will never forget the smile on your face each time you present. If there is someone I admire for individuality in presentation, I would say its you. Hopefully, after years of practice, I will be as at ease with presenting as you are. Good luck for your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stephanie :)

    I love the way you started off. Reminds me very much of MapleStory. Haha. Not that I play it XP It has been great knowing you. Especially initially when we were grouped together for class. Will remember you as the girl who takes the bus with Deenise and me to arts :)) It's lovely to hear that you have taken something away from this class.

    See you around :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lin Hui,

    Haha, you can't imagine the grin on my face when I read that it is my smile you will never forget. =D Thank you very much for the compliment.

    Tiffany!
    Yup, although we have a very short time together in our group, I always like the way you do things and coordinate things among us. It sort of lead and pave the way for things to be done, with quality.

    ReplyDelete